It is finally time for us to share Gunars' coveted Chocolate Mouse Recipe with all of you! This is the same exact mousse that we make and sell in our Chocolate Cafe in Lahaina. Enjoy!
Makes approximately 1 quart of chocolate mousse
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 cups cold heavy whipping cream divided into 1 and 2 cup portions
8 oz chocolate - any Maui Ku'ia Estate Chocolate will work
1. Beat egg and sugar with mixer for about 3 minutes.
2. Meanwhile heat 1 cup heavy cream in a saucepan on medium low heat with occasional stirring until warm to hot. With mixer on low, pour the cream into the egg mixture slowly while mixing until combined.
3. Add the egg/cream mixture back into the saucepan over medium low heat and stir constantly for about five minutes until thickened. Measure temperature with a thermometer and when temperature reaches 160-170°F remove from heat. Do not boil.
4. Stir in chocolate until melted and completely mixed. Cover and refrigerate for about one hour until mixture is 60-70°F after stirring to mix.
5. Whip remaining cream until soft peaks form. Add any flavoring (1/2 cup lilikoi butter for example) to cream before whipping. Remove chocolate mixture from refrigerator and fold into the whipped cream until smooth and completely mixed.
6. Refrigerate entire amount or divide into serving containers and refrigerate. It can be consumed immediately but will firm up a little if refrigerated. Store refrigerated for up to one week. Makes about 8 four oz. servings.
Comments will be approved before showing up.